There can never be enough treats. Maybe that’s not the most balanced sentiment I’ve ever felt, or written. So sue me. I love treats.
Especially ones that don’t contain the following (or at least too much of them):
Caffeine, sugar, excess calories, excess fat, alcohol, ridiculously high heart rates, excessive price tags. Then again, some treats are healthier than others. I’m offering a few treats that are healthy. A few that are challenging. A few that are more decadent.
Favorite things, TREATS, during the holiday season if you are also in the middle of infertility and fertility treatment:
- Hot baths. Always a favorite. Add a mug of hot tea. Or a glass of wine (if appropriate). A soft cover book (trust me, a hard cover book is a bad idea). Candles. Soft music. Bubble bath or naturally scented oil. Soak for a long time.
- Tucked onto the couch with a book, mug of tea, candles, soft music. Yes, a variation of above. Maybe there’s a fire lit. No rushing to the next thing.
- Rent a movie; "Love Actually," "50 First Dates," "Sherlock Holmes," "Pay it Forward," "Mr and Mrs. Smith," "All About Eve," "Hitch," "Groundhog Day," "Moonstruck," "Unforgiven," anything with George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Matthew McConaughey, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr, Thor (who is that?!), Jude Law or Liam Neeson. This is a very, very incomplete list. Please send in your favorites and I promise to expand.
- Make a lovely, healthy meal for yourself, your partner or a few close friends. Afterwards, challenge them to a game of Apples to Apples or Pictionary or Twister or even Trivial Pursuit. Wii anyone? Add Bannangrams or Taboo or something from this decade. I actually even like charades for a good laugh.
- See a dance performance, music performance, comedy performance. See a movie. Go and participate in any of the above. There are lots and lots and lots at this time year.
- Try something new– go karting, ice skating, cross country skiing, curling (just checking to see if you’re actually paying attention). There’s so much out there to try. How about those trampoline places (if you are not in the middle of a fertility treatment cycle)? I want to try that one this year.
- There’s always the spa! Yes, a massage. A pedicure. A manicure. A body wrap. A facial. All of the above.
- My personal favorite, not surprisingly, a yoga class. A vigorous class or a restorative class. Try a new teacher or get to your favorite regular class with a beloved teacher. Stay at home, use a DVD.
- Volunteer! Go to a soup kitchen, go help wrap presents, find out from your church/temple/town hall what you can do to help those in need this season.
- Spend some time outside, especially if it's cold. Bundle up nice and warm, take a walk and feel how refreshing it is to be outside in the winter. Take the idea a little further and go snow shoeing. Go skiing. Take an ice skating lesson. Go sledding.
- Go back to basics: write in a journal, read something inspirational, call a friend you haven't spoken with in a while and miss, bake something for someone else.
- Draw! The “adult” coloring books (yes, that does make me smile!) are a lot of fun and relaxing. Get a few friends together or color away wherever you are. By the way, you can also draw with no lines on a page. Just saying.
Other ideas? Please share them! We could all use a few new treats.