Happy New Year and welcome to #OneSmallChange. Our gift to you from Reproductive Medicine Associates of Connecticut (RMACT).
We know that starting off the new year without the baby you've been dreaming of hurts. We know that it hurts a lot. That's why we're here.
There are tons of suggestions out there for New Year’s Resolutions– big and small. Literally, I think if we printed out the ideas and weighed them, it would be tons. Here are a few #OneSmallChange suggestions for January 1st, 2016 with a twist.
Make #OneSmallChange This New Year
- Notice a pattern and shift it. Just ever so slightly. See how everything else shifts to accommodate it.
- Be brave– try something different. New coffee? Less coffee? Variation on usual breakfast or lunch food?
- Answer a question with something besides “fine”.
- Wake up five minutes earlier than usual and, what? Snooze again? Look out the window? Read the paper? Stretch? Meditate? Pamper yourself in the shower differently? Five minute treat for yourself.
- Plan a meal that you wouldn’t normally. Investigate new recipes even if it takes you a while to actually prepare the meal. Imagine what it would be like to eat something new that you cooked.
- Try a new restaurant something outside of your comfort zone. A new type of food. Or lunch out instead of dinner. Great breakfast place?
- Forgive yourself for one thing today.
- Just one time when you are about to denigrate yourself (call yourself dumb, stupid, moron, you get the idea), pause. Maybe just stop. Just one time.
- Drink one glass of water today. One glass extra.
- Time yourself. Thirty seconds. Breathe in. Breathe out. Don’t worry about the brain chatter. Just do it anyway.
Remember, You Can Always Restart
Second most important thing to remember is that January 1st, 2016 is a day like none other. You have today to make #OneSmallChange. Or two. Or a redo if you want to make a change and it doesn’t work, do something else, including forgiving yourself.
First most important thing to remember is that you can always restart. If everything in your morning has resisted your most earnest intentions and efforts?
Make a small change in the afternoon. Or the evening. Or in bed, with your eyes closed, before you go to sleep. Thank yourself for being you.
Third most important thing to remember, January 2nd, 2016 is a day like none other. So is January 3rd. And so on.
No matter how familiar and similar a day may feel to another, it is not the same day. Same things with our moments.
We change our patterns one moment at a time. One decision at a time.
Today, for me, I’m going to forgive myself for something.
What about you?