I hook into words and phrases. Ladies Night In always has something said in a special way, at just the right moment that makes my ears perk up in a special way. Especially when I listen carefully. And as much talking as there is at LNI, there is always intense listening as well. There is respect offered in the listening and in being heard.
Listening Carefully at Ladies Night In
When you look at the others in the group while someone is talking, they are listening. They are typically not waiting for their own turn, or waiting to respond or even waiting to offer a piece of advice.
They are listening. I am listening.
We hear each other's hope. We hear each other's pain. We hear the possibilities and we hear when it's starting to feel desperate.
We listen and we hear each other and we hear ourselves through each other's voice. We see ourselves in each other's faces. Our stories are unique and yet have similarities that tie us together. We use the same language and there are no misunderstandings. Platitudes are not offered. Well-intentioned and misguided advice is not offered.
We know what it feels like to feel disappointed, elated, frustrated, hopeful, sad, and excited.
We know what it's like to laugh out loud. We know how to find the funny and ridiculous in the midst of the "blugh".
We know what it's like to feel lonely.
It's why we choose to come. And it's why we choose to listen to each other.
Being infertile can be really challenging. Being alone is not necessary.
Feeling lonely is not necessary.
If that's what you're feeling, you have choices.
Join us for infertility support. Join a Resolve support group. Join Ladies Night In Online. Find another support group online or in person.
If you're not sure how to find one, email me. It's a safe, secure email and I will help you find a group that you feel comfortable with. Below is a list of the agreements that we make in Ladies Night In. See what you think. Email me. Make a phone call and reserve a spot at a LNI.
Being lonely can make infertility more challenging than it has to be.
Join us instead.
Ladies Night In Guidelines
- Do your best to be on time
- All information shared in the group must remain confidential
- Be respectful of all points of view. Participants suffer in different ways for different reasons. This includes those that may be suffering from secondary infertility or patients in a same sex relationship that are not struggling with infertility but are using reproductive medicine to have a child
- Participants with children will attempt to keep the focus of their discussions on their fertility struggles and will either not discuss, or they will minimize discussions about their children out of respect to the primary infertility patients
- All participants should keep the focus of the group discussion on their infertility journey
- Participants are welcome to announce a pregnancy in the group, agreeing to share that information first with one of the group facilitators, whenever possible
- Participants should not dominate the group and give all members an opportunity to speak
- Participants who become excessively disruptive, insulting, argumentative or aggressive may be asked to leave the group
- Participants should not provide medical advice to other participants
- Participants are not allowed to sell their medication or discuss selling their medication in the group
- Participants will support each other and not judge or criticize each other
- Participants who become pregnant are welcome to stay in the group up until their 13th week
If you are interested in Ladies Night In, check out the upcoming schedule.