No Baby Yet this Holiday Season? Bah Humbug.
It’s serious list making season. I make lists for one very simple reason. I cannot remember everything that I need or think I need to do. So I write them down and I check my list often. Always very interesting to see what is left undone, day after day, until one day, that item no longer even appears on the list.
Making lists while in the midst of infertility or fertility treatment can look a little bizarre. One that appears often; inject myself. Hmm. Bet that doesn’t pop up too often on a “normal” person’s list. Go to the fertility program three times a week. Before work. Nope, that may be a little out of the ordinary too.
So while we are on the subject of lists, here are a few of my favorite’s for the holidays when there are no children in your home yet. When you are still waiting and hoping and working towards having your babies, holidays can be tough.
See what you like on this list. Add to it if you like and, if you have a great idea that is not here, email it to me privately at FertileYoga@gmail.com. No information of yours will be published anywhere, promise.
Holiday Season Survival Guide: A Starter List
Here's my starter list that could be part of a holiday season survival guide. A few ideas to bring a smile to your life. Favorite things to do during the holidays that do NOT include children:
- Drive/Walk to see Holiday lights. The bigger, brighter, the better. The flashier. My favorites tend to be the ones lit up, that you can see from two miles away.
- Cozy fires, hot tea/chocolate/glass of wine, book, cat/dog, spouse/partner (or not!)
- Good or bad holiday movies, (a favorite, I will admit it here, "Love Actually")
- Going to see a movie in the theatre, R-rated, no children! (mainly)
- Prepare a special meal. Better yet, BUY a special meal that someone else has prepared. Eat it on the best china that you own, with your special flatware. Use your prettiest candles and wine glasses (even if you are drinking water). Find a scruptuous desert; it's the holidays, a treat is in order. Take your time and enjoy what you have created.
- Sleep in. Spend the day in your pajamas.
- Don't answer the phone.
- Stay off the computer. Or, stay on it the entire day.
- Baths are always wonderful. Add candles, lovely music, something nice to drink and a soft covered book. (Soft covered is important, trust me, dropping a hard covered book in the water kinda stinks.)
- Go for a run/walk/stroll. Dress warmly, look carefully, breathe deeply.
- Do a photography session. Pick up your camera/phone and look for interesting images. Go close in on a flower or a vase or even a piece of fabric. Or, take the camera/phone outside.
- I almost forgot yoga!!! Practice at home, do sun salutations (Suriya Namascar), or go to a class.
These are the things that I like to do when I have some free time and it's all mine to spend the way I want. It's almost like having money to spend any way you want.
Spend it mindfully. It's a precious commodity, time.
How do you want to spend it?