Refreshing Summer Sips for an Infertility Break
There’s a hot summer weekend in front of us. As of today, the weather for the weekend is forecasted to be bright and sunny. In case the idea of weekend fun does not feel accessible to you, just a little out of reach because of your struggles with infertility or anything else, I have a suggestion.
There’s a line that I walk: it's about encouraging us all to feel how we feel; the other side allowing a breath of joy into our lives. Yes, in the middle of infertility, reaching for a balance. Teetering around, maybe, moving back and forth, definitely. Having moments of despair, balanced with moments of sweetness.
Speaking of sweetness, that is actually the point of my blog today. I don’t want to tell you all to make big plans and have a fabulous weekend. That may be way too optimistic. How about a concrete, specific suggestion? Contained and limited to a short amount of time of feeling--if not fantastic--then just pretty good.
Here’s my suggestion, which given the scope of things is pretty silly. So let’s go with silly! A little silly might be just the right idea.
I’m going to give you a list of drinks, some of my favorites, and you pick one. Or two, or three or all of them and spend ten minutes drinking it this weekend. Maybe you'll need to go pick up a few ingredients in advance. Maybe it won’t make you happy. It won’t make you pregnant, that I know. How about it being your timeout? Just ten minutes of feeling ok.
Sweet Summer Drinks
Here are my summer drink suggestions (in order of my favorites):
1. Water with lemon (yes, I am that boring)
2. Green tea with agave syrup (yes, I am that strange)
3. Milkshake (getting better, hmm?)
4. Half lemonade/half tea
5. Seltzer with cranberry juice and a lemon
6. Homemade lemonade (throw 5 lemons in the toaster oven; toast lightly. Squeeze juice into a pitcher. Boil half a cup or so of water, add sugar/agave syrup/splenda; let it dissolve. Add to pitcher with cold water. Add ice. Drink. Share if you feel like. I usually don’t.)
7. Chocolate milk
8. Any Tazo tea
9. Decaf anything iced
10. Any wonderful juice nectar from Trader Joe’s, mixed with seltzer
If you have a fabulous suggestion, please post it here. I know I am always looking for new ways to lift my spirits.
Lisa Rosenthal's Google+